The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (DP) is currently in the candidacy phase of development and is planned to launch at Huron High School for the fall of 2017. Students who are part of the class of 2019 can anticipate enrolling in DP classes for 11th and 12th grade.
Students and families who want an exceptional educational experience will choose the DP at Huron because it includes
- The most comprehensive DP course offerings in Michigan in the six different DP subject areas:
- Language and Literature with courses in Literature and Language and Literature
- Language Acquisition with courses in Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Latin, and Spanish
- Individuals and Societies with courses in History, Psychology, Global Politics, and Business and Management
- Science with courses in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Systems and Societies, and Physics
- Mathematics with courses in Math Studies, Math Standard Level, Math Higher Level, and Further Math Higher Level
- Arts with courses in Visual arts, Film, and Music (performance based to integrate with current music program)
- Potential college credit for the successful completion of DP courses: the most recent data about college acceptance rates for students who hold IB diplomas reveals how U.S. based colleges and universities hold the IB credential in high regard.
- Opportunities that promote a well-rounded educational experience
- Creative, Active, and Service (CAS) learning opportunities that strengthen student involvement in local, state, national, and global communities
- The Extended Essay: the creation of a college-level research essay which is a culminating educational experience that ties the learned curriculum to each students interests
- Theory of Knowledge: A college-level course that asks students to reflect on the nature of knowledge, and on how they know what they claim to know.
- Extracurricular choices:
- Sports: the ability to play for 42 different sports teams
- Music: The chance to be a part of Huron’s Grammy©-Winning Music Program
- Clubs: The ability to participate in 67 Huron Clubs
- A diverse environment and student body
- Academic pathways for 11th and 12th grade where students choose which classes match their strengths and interests from three categories including (1) traditional Huron courses (including Advanced Placement, health sciences, cosmetology, and the home builders program), (2) the Full Diploma where students choose all DP classes and complete the DP core), OR (3) a combination of traditional and DP classes.
Students who complete the Full Diploma will be taking part of the most rigorous and balanced comprehensive high school curriculum offered. A graphical representation of the Huron DP Four Year Plan can be downloaded by clicking here.
More Diploma Programme information at:
Questions can be directed to:
Ann Arbor Public Schools
K-12 Ann Arbor International Baccalaureate Facilitator
Ann Arbor Public Schools