Burns Park is named after Professor George Burns who was the Ann Arbor Commissioner for a time. In 1910 the old fairgrounds, located here, were changed to a park and named in his honor. Before 1925, there were trolley barns here. In January 1925, they burned and this school building was built as Tappan Junior High. In 1951, Tappan moved and took its name with it. This building then took its name from the park.