Requirements of 5th Grade Students taking 6th Grade Online Math
As a parent/guardian of a 4th grade student (2016-2017), who is applying for acceleration into a 6th Grade Math course (2017-2018), please note:
- Student/Parent may self-identify or teacher may recommend student.
- Students are not to enroll in the online 6th grade math course unless approved through the application process by the Math Acceleration Committee.
- The online math class replaces the regular 5th grade math class offered at the building. It is not offered in addition to any in-building math class.
- Computers are available on a first come, first served basis. All students must have the same access. This means that online students do not have priority over computers nor can they be denied the use of available computers.
- The course is available 24/7 through the web and may require students to work outside of school hours.
- Students are required to complete projects and participate in online discussions and forums. All the projects and discussions/forums are required to be completed before administration of final testing.
- Students are required to communicate at a minimum of once a week with their instructor through a portal in their online classroom.
- Students are required to have three tests proctored for the yearlong class. (midterm, comprehensive final, and district final assessment). Proctoring sessions are regularly scheduled outside of school hours and locations vary. Parents are responsible for transporting students.
- Students can only accelerate to a new course if they meet the minimum requirements as set in our Accelerated A2 Virtual+ Math Guidelines Document.
- Student must have his/her own email. AAPS generates an internal school email that can be used at parent request.
- Students and parents must attend an orientation at the beginning of the school year.
- Students may drop the math course (change of mind) but there is no withdrawal from the online Math course until the completion of a year long course after the drop period as stated on the A2 Virtual+ calendar.
- Students who complete an accelerated course (ie. Math 6) are not required to take the testing out exam for this same course.
- Students must complete all work for the current course by the end of the school year.