Our current unit:Learning targets for this unit include:
- I can determine the theme of a text.
- I can determine the meaning of words and phrases including figurative and connotative meanings.
- I can analyze the impact of rhymes and repetitions of sounds on poems.
- I can analyze how a poem's form or structure contributes to its meaning.
- I can compare and contrast a written peom to its audio version.
- I can use knowledge of language conventions when reading and writing poetry.
- I can demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
- I can interpret figures of speech in context.
- I can use the relationship between words to better understand each of the words.
- I can distinguish between the connotation and denotations of words.
Independent ReadingStudents are required to read a book at home for 30 minutes per evening. This book should be a book he/she enjoys reading. All students will be required to talk and write about their book during class.