A2 STEAM Physical Education
Physical Education curriculum in the Ann Arbor Public School district is aligned with the National Standards for Physical Education. The goal is to develop physically literate individuals who have the knowledge, skills and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity. Here at A2 Steam we also aim to integrate other subjects into our PE classes with a sprinkle of PBL.
National Physical Education Standards
Standard 1 - The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
Standard 2 - The physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
Standard 3 - The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
Standard 4 - The physically literate individual exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
Standard 5 - The physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
TO be Physically literate, a student…
- Has learned the skills necessary to participate in a variety of physical activities.
- Knows the implications and the benefits of involvement in various types of physical activities.
- Participates regularly in physical activity.
- Is physically
- Values physical activity and its contributions to a healthful lifestyle.
- Introduction to Movement (Y5-2)
- Locomotor Skills
- Movement concepts
- Body/Spatial awareness
- Physical Activity and Fitness (Y5-8)
- Manipulative skills (K-8)
- With feet, hands and implements
- Low-Impact Gymnastics and Non-Locomotor Skills (K-5)
- Rhythmic/Dance activities (K-8)
- Modified Team Sports (3-8)