Cultural Exchange Programs for International Students (J-1 visa)
Announcement 7/7/2020: Ann Arbor Public School values the benefit of having exchange students in our school district and contributing to the diversity of our classrooms and schools. However, given the current global pandemic, the safety and well-being of our students, teachers, and staff are most important to us. Since we are uncertain what school will look come September, we cannot, in good conscience, admit NEW exchange students at this time.
We are suspending our F1 and J1 programs for the Fall semester/trimester 2020 to all NEW international student applications. We will announce the feasibility of admitting exchange students for the spring semester on or around October 1, 2020.
AAPS WILL assist current AAPS international students (including rising 12th graders) who have already spent a year in AAPS to enroll in the fall if the F1/J1 visa allows. This includes students changing visa categories for example J2, F2, O2 who want to change to F1 or J1. All F1 students need to select the hybrid or in-person option for study in the fall. Students may not select the 100% online option to study, per the SEVP announcement made on July 6, 2020.
Please contact Jennifer Nemecek for more details: email@example.com
AAPS partners with a number of cultural exchange organizations to facilitate one-year educational exchanges at the high school level for international students on a J-1 visa. Exchange organizations must be fully listed members of CSIET and authorized by the Department of State. The exchange organizations facilitate the application and visa process, place students with local host families, enroll students at one of our high schools, and provide orientation and ongoing support for students throughout their stay.
Below is a sampling of recent J1 Programs working with AAPS to welcome cultural exchange students from around the world:
- AFS Intercultural Programs - https://www.afsusa.org/host-family/
- ASSE - https://asse.com/home/
- AYA (Academic Year in America)/AIFS - https://www.academicyear.org/
- CIEE - https://www.ciee.org/in-the-usa/academics/high-school-usa/about-high-school-usa
- FLAG (Foreign Links Around the Globe) - https://flag-intl.org/ (F1 & J1 Program)
- Greenheart - https://greenheartexchange.org/ (F1 & J1 Program)
- ISE - International Student Exchange - https://www.iseusa.org/
- PAX - https://www.pax.org/about
- Rotary International - https://www.rotary.org/en/our-programs/youth-exchanges
- STS (Student Management Foundation) - https://www.stsfoundation.org/ (F1 & J1 Program)
- YFU - Youth for Understanding - https://host.yfu.org/
For J1 Program Providers: To place cultural exchange students (J-1 visa) at AAPS, local coordinators from approved programs should contact the high school office directly and Jennifer Nemecek firstname.lastname@example.org
If you offer a J1 program and want to check the current status of your program or want to become an approved partner with AAPS, please contact Jennifer Nemecek at email@example.com or phone + 1 734 548 5884.