MYP Subject Area 1: Language and Literature
Huron Courses: English 9 (IB102011), English 10 (IB102021)
The aims of all MYP subjects state what a teacher may expect to teach and what a student may expect to experience and learn. These aims suggest how the student may be changed by the learning experience.
The aims of MYP language and literature are to encourage and enable students to:
- use language as a vehicle for thought, creativity, reflection, learning, self-expression, analysis and social interaction
- develop the skills involved in listening, speaking, reading, writing, viewing and presenting in a variety
- of contexts
- develop critical, creative and personal approaches to studying and analysing literary and non-literary texts
- engage with text from different historical periods and a variety of cultures
- explore and analyse aspects of personal, host and other cultures through literary and non-literary texts
- explore language through a variety of media and modes
- develop a lifelong interest in reading
- apply linguistic and literary concepts and skills in a variety of authentic contexts.