Resources for Study Abroad While in Middle or High School
Study abroad can be a transformational experience and has proven to build cultural competence, language skills, confidence, maturity, leadership, problem-solving abilities and inspire an authentic global perspective. Learn about hundreds of study abroad opportunities available to both high school and middle school students through the links below. Most programs have scholarships and several are fully funded. Review these resources early in your high school career so you can plan ahead for the early deadlines.
- List of Summer Study Abroad Programs for Middle & High School Students Begin here to learn about the hundreds of short term and summer opportunities available to you. Gap year options are also included. Scholarship links are highlighted in RED.
- Scholarship Resources for High School Students to Fund Study Abroad This list highlights the many fundraising suggestions and scholarships available for study abroad. Look for the fully funded US State Department grants too.
- High School Semester/Year Exchange Information This site focuses on longer (semester and year) options to study abroad while in high school.
- Local Volunteer Opportunities for High School Students in Ann Arbor This site lists the many volunteer and internship possibilities available to you in Ann Arbor. Study abroad can be enhanced through local engagement in a volunteer or internship.
- Leadership Scholarships for College This list highlights several leadership scholarships that may value international experience. Many also incorporate an international experience into their summer enrichment opportunities.
- Research, References and Resources on the Value of K-12 Study Abroad This site lists the research articles and studies about the value of high school study abroad (as compared to college study abroad). All point to the positive benefits of studying abroad and many have identified tangible outcomes from participation in a study abroad program early in an academic career (pre-college).
- College Scholarships for AAPS High School Students This site highlights the many AAPS grants given to graduating seniors.
- If you are interested in study abroad, perhaps you would be interested in hosting an international high school student studying in Ann Arbor. If this interests you and your family, contact Jennifer Nemecek, AAPS International Education Partnership Coordinator.
For more information about these resources or want to add additional opportunities, please contact Jennifer Nemecek, AAPS International Education Partnership Coordinator, email@example.com