Non-Resident Children of Employees

  • The Ann Arbor Board of Education has approved a policy that allows enrollment of non-resident children of employees. This provides the opportunity for a permanent reassignment from one district to another. AAPS retains the right to identify space availability for non-resident enrollment, including during a change of building level (i.e., elementary to middle school, middle school to high school).

    Qualified employees may apply and are defined as any individual who is currently under contractual employment with AAPS, either full- or part-time and receives a payroll check from the AAPS. Individuals who are employed by another agency, school district, intermediate school district, governmental agency or business - but who are assigned to perform their work within or on behalf of AAPS - are not qualified employees of AAPS and thus, their children do not qualify for admission to the District under this law.

    The 2024-25 NRCE application is available from May 29 - June 27, 2024 for:
      • Young 5s 
      • Grades K-8
      • Grades 9 - 10: Huron, Pioneer, Skyline
      • Grade 11: Huron IB Programme
    Applications are not accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. If you experience technical difficulties or have any questions, please email us at
  • Enroll for 2023-24
    Apply for 2024-25
    Language Support Button
  • Important Considerations

    • Students are not automatically moved to the next neighborhood building or “feeder” school. A transfer application must be made when changing building levels.
    • Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian and not provided by AAPS.
    • Two years worth of discipline records will be requested from the applicant’s current school (excluding Young 5s and kindergarten applicants). AAPS may refuse enrollment to a nonresident applicant if the applicant has been suspended from another district within the preceding two years, or if the applicant has ever been expelled from another district.
    • Each student within a family requires their own NRCE application.
    • High school students who transfer may be subject to an ineligibility period per MHSAA policy. Please contact the athletic director of the approved school with questions.