The following is general information about fifth grade at Dicken. We hope it will help to answer some of your questions.
1. Supplies: This year your child will need a binder and pencil bag to organize his/her schoolwork/homework while traveling from room to room. We will provide notebooks, pencils, crayons, glue, scissors, rulers, etc. so you do not need to buy these items. If you would like to donate supplies to the classroom we could use Crayola color pencils, Crayola water paint sets, tissues, hand sanitizer, Bandaids, and Lysol wipes.
2. Homework: Your child will be getting homework assignments that are due daily, weekly, and monthly. We will be providing a planner so your child can record assignments and due dates to keep organized. We are asking that parents sign the planner every night so that you are “in-the-loop” with your child’s assignments.
3. Birthdays: If you would like to send in a treat for your child’s birthday, please let us know at least a day in advance. We will generally have the celebration in the morning, so please send the treat with your child when he/she comes to school. Due to a new school policy, all birthday treats must be a fruit or vegetable this year.
4. Snack: Your child is welcome to bring in a snack every day. Although we will not have a scheduled “snack time”, your child is free to eat when he/she is hungry. Please be sure to only send fresh fruits and veggies (no fruit sauces, roll-up, gummies etc.). Thanks for your cooperation.
5. Book Orders: We will be sending home book orders once a month. This provides you with an opportunity to buy books at a reduced rate and at the same time allows us to earn points to buy new books for the classroom library. If you plan to order…you may place an order online or just send the order forms along with one check written to SCHOLASTIC by the specified date.
6. Monday Folders: Each Monday your child will bring home a folder with completed work inside. This will give you a weekly snapshot about how your child is doing in school. Please be sure to check and sign your child’s folder and return it to school on Tuesday.