English Language Arts Department
The Ann Arbor Public Schools English Language Arts (ELA) curriculum promotes student proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening, viewing and language. These skills are essential for students' success in college, career and life beyond school.
The English Language Arts department focuses on developing in students the following habits of mind.
- They demonstrate independence.
- They build strong content knowledge.
- They respond to the varying demands of audience, task, purpose, and discipline.
- They comprehend as well as critique.
- They value evidence.
- They use technology and digital media strategically and capably.
- They come to understand other perspectives and cultures.
The Michigan K-12 ELA Standards can be found at the following link: