At Ann Arbor Public Schools, we understand how important before and after school care is to working families. Rec & Ed's Before/After Care program promotes children's wellbeing through enrichment activities, positive relationships, and a safe environment. Our caring staff create a welcoming environment for all.
For Fall 2023, Before/After Care is available for the following 8 elementary school communities: Abbot, Allen, Angell, Carpenter, Lakewood, Mitchell, Pittsfield (After Care only, in combined program with Allen) and Wines. As staffing allows, Rec & Ed will add more Before/After Care program sites throughout the year. Where there is space in After Care programs, "commuter" students who have their own transportation to a program site are welcome to register. See additional information below.
Minimum enrollment for the 2023-2024 School Year
- With state grant funds ending and a permanent increase in staff wages, Rec & Ed has established minimum enrollment numbers in order to cover all program costs.
- Before care programs must have a minimum of 15 students enrolled to open.
- After care programs must have a minimum of 25 students enrolled to open.
- All parents who have registered for Before/After care programs will be notified of their school's program status by the week of Aug 4th.
- Some sites that had low enrollment this year (2022-23) will be open to students from other buildings in 2023-24.
Fees for the 2023-24 School Year
- The 2023-2024 Before and After School Childcare fees have been adjusted to cover the actual program costs now that all supplemental state grant funding has ended.
- A registration fee of $15 per session per student is charged at the time of registration.
- Before Care fees: $2760/year (paid in ten equal monthly installments beginning in August 2023).
- After Care fees: $4140/year (paid in ten equal monthly installments beginning in August 2023).
Student "Commuter" After Care
When space in After Care programs is available, "commuter" students are welcome at these locations. Families provide or arrange transportation to reach these locations. The After Care program runs 5 days/week from the end of the school day to 6:00 p.m. There is no part-time care.
- All commuter students must be dropped off at the After Care location between 3:45pm and 3:55pm.
- Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis to families who fill out and sign the Commuter After Care Information and Agreement Form here.
- The Commuter After Care Agreement must be received in order to complete the registration process.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Highlights of the 2022-23 School Year
- Rec & Ed's intense efforts to recruit more qualified staff resulted in an increase of 17 staff over 2021-22. These additional staff allowed us to reopen two elementary school programs, bringing the total number of Rec & Ed Before/After Care programs to seven. Rec & Ed continues to actively hire qualified staff with the intention of continuing to add more sites. Our child care licenses are up-to-date at eleven additional buildings -- all we need is staff.
- Rec & Ed has permanently increased wages for child care workers and created new positions offering full-time hours and benefits. These efforts have paid off in staff recruitment and retention.
- Before/After Care enrollment increased 50% over the 2021-2022 school. About 250 students have enrolled this year!
- New coordination of themes and activities across all program sites has enhanced program quality.
Join Our Friendly and Caring Team!
Rec & Ed wages and benefits are highly competitive. Schedules are flexible, with both part-time and full-time opportunities ranging from assistant to program director. Find out more on our employment opportunities page.
Assistance for Program Fees
Programs are available to families needing financial assistance who meet income eligibility requirements:
- The Michigan Tri-Share Program, coordinated locally by the Child Care Network. More information here.
- Childcare Network offers family support and a scholarship program. Apply for this scholarship program and obtain additional information here.
- The Rec & Ed Scholarship Program offers fee waivers to families each year. We offer 25%, 50% and 75% fee waivers to those who apply and qualify. Families may apply for assistance using the Standard Rec & Ed Scholarship Application.
-- Previous Rec & Ed Before/After Care Updates --
Rec & Ed Before and After Care at ALLEN has reopened!
The Before and After Care Childcare staff at Rec & Ed is happy to announce the reopening of the Before and After Care program at Allen. This program will provide Before Care for students at Allen and the After Care Program will provide care for students from Allen and Pittsfield.
- Registration: For assistance with registration please call 734.994.2300
- Registration is available on a first come, first served basis. Once space fills, a waitlist will automatically be created.
- Program begins: Monday, August 28, 2023
- Schedule: Before Care - Monday - Friday, 7:15am until 8:45am After Care - Monday - Friday, end of school until 6:00pm
- Registration Fee: $15
- Program cost: Before Care-$276/month After Care-$414/month
- Scholarships are available - see Scholarship Assistance
- For more information, contact Kate Porter at (734) 994 2300 X 53232 or email@example.com
Extended Day Program - After School Enrichment Classes and Programs
Rec & Ed's Extended Day Program includes after school classes that run until 5:00 or 5:30 p.m. one day per week for 6-12 weeks. Classes include art, drama, science, chess, sports, and more. For more information regarding after school enrichment classes, check aarecedonline.com. Interested in offering an after school class? Visit the Apply to Teach page.
Before/After Care Contacts
Rec & Ed Office: 734-994-2300Regular Office Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday - Friday
Kate Porter Manager x53232 firstname.lastname@example.org Zachary Brannock Supervisor x53208 email@example.com Danielle Augsburger Site Specialist II x53106 firstname.lastname@example.org Emily Baker Site Specialist x53975 email@example.com Tamiko Davis Program Director (Carpenter & Pittsfield) x53255 firstname.lastname@example.org Veronica Nola Program Director (Mitchell & Wines) x53220 email@example.com Michelle Givens Office Professional x53253 firstname.lastname@example.org