A Physically Educated Person:
• HAS learned skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities
• KNOWS the implications of and the benefits from involvement in physical activities
• DOES participate regularly in physical activity
• IS physically fit
• VALUES physical activity and its contribution to a healthful lifestyle
District Secondary Health and Physical Education Chair
District Elementary Health and Physical Education Chair
Ann Arbor Public Schools Mission Statement: Guiding students in the process of becoming physically active for a lifetime.
Goal: The goal of Physical Education in the Ann Arbor Public Schools is to develop physically educated individuals who have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activities.
Benefits of a physically active child:
- Studies show a positive correlation between physical activity and academic performance
- Student test scores improve after engaging in physical activity
- Students who are physically active and fit are more likely to perform well in school than their sedentary peers
- Studies show an increase in academic achievement when additional time is provided for physical activity, even when time is removed from academic instruction
- Activity breaks help students’ on-task behavior
- Active transportation enhances academic performance
National Physical Education Standards:
Standard 1 -‐ The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
Standard 2 -‐ The physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
Standard 3 -‐ The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-‐enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
Standard 4 -‐ The physically literate individual exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
Standard 5 -‐ The physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-‐expression and/or social interaction.