Non-Resident Children of Employees of the Ann Arbor Public Schools

  • The Ann Arbor Board of Education has approved a policy to allow enrollment of Non-Resident Children of Employees to the Ann Arbor Public Schools. This allows for a permanent reassignment of students from one district to another. Under the Enrollment of Non-Resident Children of Employees policy, qualified employees* may apply for space to one of the identified space-available schools. The district retains the right to identify schools for non-resident enrollment, including schools that students may attend during a change of level (elementary-middle-high).

    *Qualified Employee: Any individual who is currently under contractual employment with AAPS, either full- or part-time and receives a payroll check from the AAPS. Individuals who are employed by another agency, school district, intermediate school district, governmental agency or business, but who are assigned to perform their work within or on behalf of the Ann Arbor Public Schools are not “qualified employees” of the Ann Arbor Public Schools and thus, their children do not qualify for admission to the District under this law.

    Please Note:

    • Transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the participating parent/guardian. The ability of the family to transport students to arrive on time for daily instruction is an important consideration when applying for non-resident enrollment.
    • All high school transfer students may be subject to an athletic ineligibility period per MHSAA policy. For more information, please contact the athletic director at the school you are considering.

    Apply Online Here 

    Further Inquiries? Please email (best) the AAPS Student Enrollment office at or leave a voice message at 734-994.2249.