Bryant Community Elementary School was named after Clifford E. Bryant, an extraordinary man who had the reputation of being a friend to students and teachers. Mr. Bryant came to Ann Arbor after World War II and was employed as a custodian at the Old Ann Arbor High School from August 1946 until 1960. After many years of working with high school students, he transferred to Dicken Elementary School in 1960 where he remained until his retirement in the Fall of 1971.
Bryant Community Elementary School opened in the Fall of 1973 as an open concept facility. After extensive renovations the current building was rededicated in the Fall of 1982.