AAPS Nursing Services
Michigan HeartSafe Schools
AAPS District Nurses Ann Burdick, RN, BSN, MSEdPH of Huron High School (on left) and Kristin Mahler, RN, MPH, NCSN of Skyline High School (on right) recently attended a statewide ceremony honoring all Michigan HeartSafe Schools and accepted an award on behalf of the district. The following AAPS schools have received a HeartSafe designation: Elementary Schools - Angell, Burns Park, Dicken, Eberwhite, King, Logan, Wines. Middle Schools - Clague, Forsythe, Scarlett, Slauson. High Schools - Community, Huron, Pioneer, and Skyline.
Michigan School Nurse of the Year
Congratulations to Kate Odette, RN, for receiving the Michigan School Nurse of the Year award for 2019. Kate has been a school nurse in AAPS for 20 years and recently retired in June 2019.
AAPS School Nurses 2019-2020
Goals of the Ann Arbor Public School Nurses:
- Reduce health-related barriers to learning and health related absenteeism thus improving student achievement
- Promote the health, safety, and wellness of all students and staff at Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Promote a positive, collaborative relationship with students, families, colleagues, and the community
- Promote best practices in school health services through professional development and resources.
Services Provided by the Ann Arbor Public Schools Nurses
- Illness, injury assessments and interventions
- Identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns
- Health assessments/participation in Individualized Education Plan development
- Pediatric nursing procedures
- Screening for health factors impacting student education
- Activities and education to promote health
- Health care counseling or guidance to students, their family, and to staff
- Chronic disease management and education
- Individualized Nursing Care Plans and services for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Medication administration
- Assessment and interventions for students with mental health needs
- Crisis team participation
- Health curriculum recommendations
- Guidelines for school district health policies, goals and objectives
- School/community/health care provider liaison
- Immunization verification according to state guideline requirements.
- Medication management