AAPS Nursing Services
Congratulations to Kate Odette, RN, Lead Nurse for AAPS. Kate received the Michigan School Nurse of the Year award for 2019. Kate has been a school nurse in AAPS for 20 years.
AAPS School Nurses 2018-2019.
Goals of the Ann Arbor Public School Nurses:
- Reduce health-related barriers to learning and health related absenteeism thus improving student achievement
- Promote the health, safety, and wellness of all students and staff at Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Promote a positive, collaborative relationship with students, families, colleagues, and the community
- Promote best practices in school health services through professional development and resources.
Services Provided by the Ann Arbor Public Schools Nurses
- Illness, injury assessments and interventions
- Identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns
- Health assessments/participation in Individualized Education Plan development
- Pediatric nursing procedures
- Screening for health factors impacting student education
- Activities and education to promote health
- Health care counseling or guidance to students, their family, and to staff
- Chronic disease management and education
- Individualized Nursing Care Plans and services for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Medication administration
- Assessment and interventions for students with mental health needs
- Crisis team participation
- Health curriculum recommendations
- Guidelines for school district health policies, goals and objectives
- School/community/health care provider liaison
- Immunization verification according to state guideline requirements.
- Medication management