EL & Bilingual Instructional Assistants
Information Session For Potential New EL or Bilingual Instructional Assistants
10:30am - 12:00PM
Main Conference Room
2555 S. State
Returning and potentially new EL Instructional Assistants should also complete this form.
Professional Development Session #1 (Required before academic support may begin.)
All new instructional assistants or those who have not worked for the district in this role for over 12 months must attend this session before beginning work during the 2019-2020 school year.
This 1.5 hours of professional development will be paid if you begin work as an instructional assistant in the Ann Arbor Public Schools.
PRE K - 12TH GRADE Academic Support
Those interested in being EL instructional assistants should meet the minimum requirements:
* Bilingual EL IAs should be fluent in English and one other language. Bilingual EL IAs also often work with students from multiple language backgrounds.
* EL Instructional Assistants are not required to be bilingual.
* Have proof of having completed at least 60 college credit hours.
* Able and willing to support students with math, science, and social studies vocabulary, concepts, and homework.
* Available to participate in district-sponsored professional development.
* Willing to work with students from any language background if the need arises, not just their own.
BASIC TUTOR INFORMATION:
* 90% of the tutors are bilingual.
* EL IAs jobs are part-time, hourly, and often temporary.
* EL IAs need to be available to work during the school day. 7:40 - 4:00
* EL IAs do not plan or modify lessons for students. They support students in their classes with lessons and activities planned by the classroom or content area teachers. Details are provided at tutor professional development sessions prior to working.
* Once you have been approved by HRS to begin work, your name will be sent out to the schools. Schools call EL IAs based on students' needs and building EL programming.
* EL IAs are required to get fingerprinted, like all other school employees. The cost is about $70.