EL & Bilingual Instructional Assistants
Information Session For Potential New EL or Bilingual Instructional Assistants
November 13, 2017
BALAS Administration Building
2555 South State
1:00 - 2:30
Professional Development Session #1 (Required before academic support may begin.)
All returning and new instructional assistants must attend this session before beginning work during the 2017-2018 school year.
This 1.5 hours of professional development will be paid if you begin work as an instructional assistant in the Ann Arbor Public Schools.
PRE K - 12TH GRADE TUTORING
Those interested in being EL tutors should meet the minimum requirements:
* Bilingual tutors should be fluent in English and one other language. At this time, we are looking for tutors who speak Spanish, Arabic, Kurdish, Chinese, & French. Other language needs might arise as the year goes on, so if you are interested, please join us.
* Have proof of having completed at least 60 college credit hours.
* Able and willing to support students with math, science, and social studies vocabulary, concepts, and homework.
* Available to participate in district-sponsored professional development.
* Willing to work with students from any language background if the need arises, not just their own.
BASIC TUTOR INFORMATION:
* 90% of the tutors are bilingual.
* Tutoring jobs are part-time, hourly, and often temporary.
* Tutors need to be available to work during the school day. 7:40 - 4:00
* Tutors do not plan or modify lessons for students. They support students in their classes with lessons and activities planned by the classroom or content area teachers. Details are provided at tutor professional development sessions prior to working.
* Once you have been approved by HRS to begin work, your name will be sent out to the schools.
* Tutors are required to get fingerprinted, like all other school employees. The cost is about $70.