Fundraising at Thurston is done via a number of events and programs.
Fall 2017-2018 Thurston PTO Budget
Start earning money for Thurston Elementary while doing your regular shopping! A few minutes of your time can earn hundreds of dollars at no cost to you.
If you shop at Amazon.com, Kroger, Busch's, Arbor Farms or Shutterfly you can follow the steps listed.
Connected Vehicle Study
U-M is giving money to elementary schools who participate in their connected vehicle study. Please check for details here.
The Fun Run is an all school fundraiser that provides a substantial amount of funds for our school year’s budget. It is a fun way to get families involved, and replaces the traditional start of year donation request. The funds raised are used by the Thurston PTO to help pay for classroom field trips, activities, supplies, and anything extra that the school needs for the school year. Pledge packets will be sent home with your child in October, and pledges will be accepted until 2 weeks after the Fun Run. In an effort to motivate students to collect pledges, a weekly raffle will take place for three weeks.
On the day of the run, parents and relatives are encouraged to come and cheer for their child’s grade. All children can participate regardless the number of pledges received. The children run or walk for 25-30 minutes, and receive a treat upon completion. In previous years we raised money to purchase swings on the 4/5 playground and help fund the new playground structure on the 2/3 playground. You can always check out “The Get Movin Crew’s” website at www.thegetmovincrew.com to see what it’s all about. If you have a local business, we are always looking for more donations for our weekly raffle. Kelly Delp is the parent coordinator for this event.
In 2015, we celebrated Thurston’s 50th birthday, and this whole- family fun event was started. Kiwanis Ann Arbor Morning Edition, will sponsor this event and help raise funds for some of our Thurston organizations. At this fundraiser, all are invited to walk, run, or stroll a 5K route that winds through the beautiful Thurston neighborhood and grounds. This is great way to connect with school friends, the community, and enjoy fall colors. Please visit: https://kiwanismorningedition.org.
Fall Carnival / New Book Sale
Every October Thurston hosts the very popular Fall Carnival, a social kick-off event where Thurston families enjoy an indoor carnival with activities, games, and prizes. Classrooms throughout the school are converted into game/activity rooms, and students have the opportunity to play games and win prizes. Some of Fall Carnival’s favorite attractions include The Cake Walk (where students can win a cake or baked treat), Soccer, Monster Dance, Science Games, Craft Room, and Plinko. Not only is Fall Carnival a fun event, it also serves as a fundraiser for Thurston’s PTO. Carnival tickets are for sale, and can be used for games, pizza, snacks, and trinkets.
The New Book Sale is always held on the same night as the Fall Carnival. Working together with our Media Specialist, we will transform our library into a lively bookstore for one whole day. The prices are the same as you would pay at the store and a percentage of sales are used to purchase library books. The books we sell are handpicked by the school librarian, and are limited to actual books (no extra merchandise or electronics) for children up through 5th grade. It is a great place to come for your (early) holiday shopping!
Many volunteers are needed for both events. For the Fall Carnival, help is needed for ticket and pizza sales, set-up/clean-up, and at the various game booths. For the New Book Sale, volunteers are needed to set up/take down the book sale, supervise the book sale during the day when the students come through the preview the sale (though purchases are not allowed until after the bell rings), and work the sale during its open hours.
Snow Cone Social and Used Book Sale
These two events are held on the same night. The Snow Cone Social takes place outside, on the playground, and the Used Books Sale, inside in the MPR or Gym. At the Snow Cone Social, students enjoy bounce houses, face paintings, play-yard games. Snow Cone Social is also a great time for parents to connect with other families and recap on the school-year.
Volunteers are needed to help serve ice cream, supervise games, monitor the very popular bounce houses that we bring in for the evening, and help with set-up and clean-up. While all the bounce houses are free, there is a charge for the snow cones.
The Used Book Sale fills the entire MPR or gym with books of all genres, for all ages. Books are donated by Thurston families, as well as members of the community. Families and community members look forward to sifting through the plethora of reasonably priced books. It is amazing to see the wide variety of books, and hearing the eruption of excitement from one's great find. Students are given free book coupons, and have the opportunity to select books before the sale opens to the public. Volunteers are needed all week leading up to the event to sort the books that Thurston families and neighborhood people bring in for the sale. They are also needed during the day on the Friday of the sale to supervise students who come into the library for the pre-sale, and at the actual event to sell books, set up, clean up, and pack up the unsold books for delivery to the AADL booksale downtown or other charities. Everything for both events is done in shifts so no one person is expected to work the entire evening.
We collect “Box Tops” all year long. The children usually come home with a collection sheet once a month and are encouraged to fill it up with “Box Tops”. We hold a weekly contest with all the classrooms at Thurston to see who brings in the most “Box Tops”. The class who wins each week is recognized at the “Heron Huddle” and gets to have the “Box Tops Trophy” for the week. You can find “Box Tops” on many products...such as: Avery office products, General Mills, Hanes, Green Giant produce, Hanes, and many other products. You can find a complete list of participating products on The Box Tops for Education website at www.btfe.com. We encourage all families to go online and sign up on the website. The nice thing is that it’s free and at the beginning of the school year, they give the school 5 box tops for every new person who signs up online for our school. In the past we have purchased Document Cameras, soccer goals and books for the library. Each year we choose what we would like to use the money for. It’s that easy....Clip the “Box Tops” and send them to school with your child or drop them off in the office. Each Box Tops= $0.10.
Little Caesars Pizza Kits are a popular frozen pizza option for many families. The pizza kits include pizza ingredients/toppings, and are quite easy to assemble before baking. The taste, quality, and convenience of these kits are always given high ratings. Pizza kits sales are usually held once a year and can be ordered through student sellers online or by form.
If you shop at Amazon.com, Kroger, Busch's, Arbor Farms or Shutterfly you can follow the steps listed below.
- Go to amazon.com and create an account. If you already have one, go to step 2
- Go to separate website smile.amazon.com and sign in with your Amazon account information
- Choose "Pick your own charitable organization"
- Select Thurston Parent Teacher Organization
- Every purchase you make after that will send a percentage to Thurston. This is a great way for out-of-town relatives and friends to contribute as well.
Note: Sometimes Amazon will automatically prompt you to use Smile, and other times you may have to manually change to smile.amazon.com before checking out.
- Get a Kroger Plus Card at the customer service desk or use the one you already have.
- Go to www.kroger.com and click on the Community tab, then Community Rewards
- Create an Account. If you have a Kroger Plus card, just type in the card number and your name. If not, you also have the option of creating a digital card online.
- Click on My Account and scroll to the bottom where it says Community Rewards
- Click Enroll and fill out the required information
- You will now be able to search for and select the organization you want to link your card with. Look for Thurston PTO (organization number 82627) Click Enroll.
- Give your Kroger Plus card or phone number to the cashier whenever you check out. Kroger often offers free items and special discounts to cardholders in addition to the rewards program.
PLEASE NOTE KROGER REQUIRES EVERYONE TO RE-ENROLL AFTER APRIL 30th!
To enroll in Cash for Education you must have a MyWay account. You can sign up at buschs.com
- If you are already a member, log in to your MyWay account through buschs.com/MyWay and click the Cash for Education icon.
- Choose Thurston PTO from the list of organizations (for all quarters) and every purchase you make will earn rewards.
- Select up to four organizations that you would like to support for each quarter using the drop down menu. Purchases will be allocated equally between your chosen organizations.
- Participants will be required to re-enroll on an annual basis.
- Just be sure to use your MyWay card or phone number at checkout.
- You must have a valid email address and opt in to receive emails to participate in this program. You can check this information under My Account > Account Overview when logged into MyWay.
- Busch's will sometimes update accounts after one year, so check the Community tab periodically to make sure Thurston is still receiving your rewards.
When you check out, just say “I'd like to support Thurston PTO.” No card or account is needed and the school will receive 3% of your total purchase.
If you order your photos, calendars, cards, or gifts from Shutterfly or their partners, they will give 13% commission to Thurston. This is another easy way friends and family can show support.
Just enter the site from the Thurston storefront at http://thurstonpto.shutterflystorefront.com and we'll receive credit for every purchase.
***Meijer and Target no longer participate in this program