Huron High School is authorized as a World School by the International Baccalaureate Organization to offer the Diploma Programme (DP).
What is the Diploma Programme all about?
Students and families who want an exceptional educational experience will choose the DP at Huron because it includes:
- A comprehensive DP course offerings in the six different DP subject areas. All Huron DP course descriptions can be viewed HERE.
- Language and Literature with courses in Literature HL and Language and Literature HL
- Language Acquisition with courses in Chinese (Mandarin) SL/HL, French SL/HL, German SL/HL, Latin SL/HL, and Spanish SL/HL
- Individuals and Societies with courses in History SL/HL, Psychology SL, Global Politics SL, and Business and Management SL
- Science with courses in Biology SL/HL, Chemistry SL/HL, Computer Science SL, Environmental Systems and Societies SL, and Physics SL/HL
- Mathematics with courses in Math Studies, Math Standard Level, Math Higher Level
- Arts with courses in Visual Arts SL/HL, Film SL/HL, and Music SL (performance based to integrate with current music
- Potential college credit for the successful completion of DP courses: the most recent data about college acceptance rates for students who hold IB diplomas reveals how U.S. based colleges and universities hold the IB credential in high regard.
- Opportunities that promote a well-rounded educational experience
- Creative, Active, and Service (CAS) learning opportunities that strengthen student involvement in local, state, national, and global communities
- The Extended Essay: the creation of a college-level research essay which is a culminating educational experience that ties the learned curriculum to each students interests
- Theory of Knowledge: A college-level course that asks students to reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how they know what they claim to know.
- Extracurricular choices:
- Sports: The ability to play for 42 sports teams
- Music: The chance to be a part of Huron’s Grammy©-Winning Music Program
- Clubs: The ability to participate in 67 Huron Clubs
- A diverse environment and student body
- Academic pathways for 11th and 12th grade where students choose which classes match their strengths and interests from three categories including (1) traditional Huron courses, (2) the Full Diploma (where students choose all DP classes and complete the DP core), (3) the Career-related Programme (which combines career programming, DP courses, and the CP core), OR (4) a combination of courses at Huron.
Students who complete the Full Diploma will be taking part of the most rigorous and balanced comprehensive high school curriculum offered.
Here is the roadmap to registering for the IB Diploma at Huron in your sophomore year….
- Check out the IB Diploma Course Descriptions
- Schedule a meeting with the IB Diploma Coordinator to find out more and create a schedule. Sign up here.
- Ensure enrollment steps for in-district or out-of-district transfers
- Read emails from the Coordinator verifying your course selections
- Register for IB Diploma classes via powerschool in March
- Attend special meetings for Full Diploma students in April and May
- Attend IB Diploma orientation session in late August
More Diploma Programme information at:
- Diploma Programme brochure
- Frequently Asked Questions About DP
- Huron Four Year Plan leading to Diploma Porgramme (for class of 2019 and 2020)
- Huron Four Year Plan leading to Diploma Programme in 11th and 12th grade (class of 2021 and beyond)
- Huron DP Courses Offered and Descriptions
- Key Research Findings - Diploma Programme
- IB Research Brief: DP student enrollment and outcomes in postsecondary institutions
- 10 reasons why the IB Diploma Programme is ideal preparation for university
- AP and IB Full Diploma: Side-by-side Comparision
- IB Credit and Michigan Colleges and Universities
- 5 Ways to Prepare for IB Success this Summer - from US News and World Report
Questions can be directed to:
Ann Arbor Public Schools
K-12 Ann Arbor International Baccalaureate Facilitator
Ann Arbor Public Schools