AAPS Nursing Services
School Nurse Care Corner
Health and Wellness Resources
AAPS Nurses assisting with COVID-19 vaccinations
Thank you to the Ann Arbor Public School Nurses for their assistance with vaccinations against COVID-19 in our community!
COVID–19 Resources for AAPS Families
Visit the following AAPS sites for an extensive listing of resources available for parents and students during this challenging time including: 1) AAPS Food Distribution, 2) Community and Parent Resources, 3) Continuous Learning Plan, 4) Reimagine Learning and 5) COVID Metrics Dashboard regarding returning to school for in-person learning:
- AAPS Reimagine Learning 2020-21
- AAPS COVID Metrics Dashboard
- AAPS COVID-19 Case Dashboard
- AAPS Food Distribution
- Community Resources
Visit a CDC website to learn how COVID-19 spreads, how to protect yourself and your family, and what to do if you are sick:
Find tips for supporting student wellness during COVID-19 such as what is coronavirus, why is school closed and how to help your child or teen cope.
Washtenaw County Health Department Information
- COVID-19 Information - WCHD
- COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation - FAQ for Parents or Guardians
- COVID-19 What to do if you're sick, tested postive or are exposed
- Flu Vaccine Clinic Information - WCHD
Nurses host COVID-19 safe Flu Clinics
Thank you to AAPS School Nurses for hosting COVID-19 safe Flu Vaccine Clinics this Fall for employees and their families.
Michigan HeartSafe Schools
AAPS District Nurses Ann Burdick, RN, BSN, MSEdPH of Huron High School (on left) and Kristin Mahler, RN, MPH, NCSN of Skyline High School (on right) attended a statewide ceremony honoring all Michigan HeartSafe Schools for 2019 and accepted an award on behalf of the district. The following AAPS schools have received a HeartSafe designation: Elementary Schools - Angell, Burns Park, Dicken, Eberwhite, King, Logan, Wines. Middle Schools - Clague, Forsythe, Scarlett, Slauson. High Schools - Community, Huron, Pioneer, and Skyline.
Goals of the Ann Arbor Public School Nurses:
- Reduce health-related barriers to learning and health related absenteeism thus improving student achievement
- Promote the health, safety, and wellness of all students and staff at Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Promote a positive, collaborative relationship with students, families, colleagues, and the community
- Promote best practices in school health services through professional development and resources.
Services Provided by the Ann Arbor Public Schools Nurses
- Illness, injury assessments and interventions
- Identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns
- Health assessments/participation in Individualized Education Plan development
- Pediatric nursing procedures
- Screening for health factors impacting student education
- Activities and education to promote health
- Health care counseling or guidance to students, their family, and to staff
- Chronic disease management and education
- Individualized Nursing Care Plans and services for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Medication administration
- Assessment and interventions for students with mental health needs
- Crisis team participation
- Health curriculum recommendations
- Guidelines for school district health policies, goals and objectives
- School/community/health care provider liaison
- Immunization verification according to state guideline requirements.
- Medication management