Students Accelerating in Online MathOnly students in grades 5-8 are allowed to accelerate in Math; high school students must take one course per term. Students in grades 6-8 need to enroll in the current math course they attend in building.
Acceleration is defined as any student taking math at least one year above his/her grade level or any student wishing to complete more than one year of math in a single school year.
Students must complete all of the below, and in the order presented, before advancing to the next course:
● ALEKS topic mastery of 100% at completion of course material
● All projects and forums must be satisfactorily completed per instructor (location: Moodle Classroom)
● Proctored teacher created ALEKS final with a score greater or equal to 90%
● Final Topic Mastery of 100%, after the completion of ALEKS final
● Proctored District End-of-Course Written Assessment with a score greater or equal to 90%
A student who receives less than 90% on the teacher created ALEKS Final:
● Student will go back and review all topics for the year that ALEKS indicates were not mastered
● Once Topic mastery is 100%, student retakes ALEKS teacher created Final (proctored)
● Student who tests at 90% or higher on second ALEKS teacher created Final is allowed to take District End-of-Course Written Assessment
● If student receives less than 90% on second ALEKS Final, a conference between parent, student, online math teacher, and A2V Principal will need to be scheduled to discuss next steps
A student who receives less than 90% on District End-of-Course Written Assessment:
● Student will be moved into the supplementary course which covers entire year
● Student will print review checklist, located in Moodle, and indicate that s/he worked through a minimum of two problems for each topic on the checklist
● Once checklist has been completed, it must be signed by both parent and student then returned to online math teacher of record
● Student will show s/he mastered all topics in pie of supplemental course
● Student will take ALEKS Supplemental Final
● If student earns a score of 90% or greater, s/he will move into next course
● If student receives less than 90% on second ALEKS Supplemental Final, a conference between parent, student, online math teacher, and A2V Principal needs to be scheduled to discuss next steps
Any time there is a gap in time between steps it is expected that the student will go into current course and review topics.
It is always at the discretion of A2Virtual+ as to whether a student has sufficient time to advance to the next course and still be able to complete the full term. Decision is based on previous progress during the year. Students who do not advance to the next level will be placed in an math enrichment module.