Wines Elementary School Library Policies
Book Care: Wines students practice positive behaviors and respect for property. Library materials are shared and should be treated with great care. You can encourage your child to take care of his or her library books by following good habits:
- Keep library books in a safe place. Clean backpacks are a great place.
- Carry books by the spine instead of by a single page or cover.
- Wash hands before reading or handling books.
- Keep food and drink away from library books (a backpack is not a safe place for library books if they share the space with leaky water bottles or juice boxes).
- If it is raining or snowing, wrap books in a plastic bag before placing them into a backpack.
- Inform the librarian about any torn pages or writing found inside a book.
Overdue Items: Books are checked out for one week. Students who have library twice/week have book checkout on their first library day of the week. Books may be renewed as long as other students are not waiting for that title.
Damaged or Lost Items: While late books are not charged a fine, our library will charge a replacement fee if a book is irreparably damaged or lost for more than one month (this includes water damage, missing pages, drawings, etc.). To pay a fine, send cash or check in a sealed envelope (checks should be made out to Wines PTO). If a lost book is found or returned within the same school year, the fine will be refunded. All fees will be used to purchase new materials for the library. Replacement books will also be accepted.
No child will ever be prevented from checking out library books because of financial hardship. If, at any time, you discover you cannot pay a library fine, please contact the librarian, Rachel Goldberg, at email@example.com.
- Y5-K: 1 book
- 1-3: 2 books
- 4-5: 3 books
Book renewals: Books may be renewed unless other students are waiting for the title.
Forgotten books and Community Collection books: If your child forgets a library book, they will be asked to return it as soon as possible and guided to select a Community Collection (CC) book. They may take home and read the CC book just as they would a standard library book. Please return both the following week. If a library book has been lost, students will be asked to pay a replacement fee. CC books will not be charged replacement fees.