Welcome U-M Volunteers!
We are fortunate to have hundreds of students and volunteers from U-M volunteer in AAPS Schools every year.
Resources for U-M Student Volunteers
If you are volunteering at an AAPS school at least once a week, the following resources will make your experience even better!
- AAPS Volunteer Guide: This resource guide provides you with everything you need to know during your volunteering experience.
- AAPS District Calendar: Know when school is in and when it's not!
- School Closing Info
Questions? please contact the AAPS Strategic Partnerships Office.
Resources for U-M Student GroupsAre you a U-M Student Group looking to volunteer at AAPS? Here are some resources to get you started:
- Contact the U-M Ginsberg Center: Start here! The Ginsberg Center is a great resource for any student group with an idea for a project with AAPS. They know our needs and can help students provide a valuable experience for all partners. To work with the Ginsberg Center, please complete their request form.
- Complete our Volunteer Interest Form: Your group can complete our form and we will follow up if there is an opportunity for you.
- Research opportunities on Connect2Community: Connect2Community is a great resource for any U-M Group. Check it out!
- Already volunteering at an AAPS school? Please contact us at email@example.com so we can document your partnership.
Hints and Tips for Working with AAPS
- Please come with a specific idea of how you would like to help out. It is a lot harder for us to find a good opportunity for you if we don't know your specific interests, timeline and capacity. Not sure what you want to do? Contact the Ginsberg Center for assistance!
- Complete the Volunteer Interest form so we can capture your interest and follow up.
- Are you a U-M Staff or Faculty? Fill out our partnership request form to let us know how you would like to get involved.
- Sponsored student organizations must be registered with Children on Campus: Want to work with us? Please register with U-M Children on Campus first.
- We always need help raising funds and school supplies: We are always happy to have student groups support our schools through donation drives. If you are interested in doing a donation drive, please let us know.
- We are interested in long term committments: AAPS does not have many opportunities for student groups to do one-time activities. If this is your interest, please check out the available one-time opportuntities on Connect2Community.
- We are always happy to answer questions! If you want to work with us, please feel free to reach out with questions.
How have U-M Groups helped out in the past?
- Purchased needed school supplies and holiday gifts for students in need.
- Volunteered as tutors during and after school.
- Volunteered for one time opportunties such as helping wrap gifts during the holidays for students in need.
- Volunteered as part of a student group to offer programming and activities for AAPS students on or off campus that focus on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math), student wellness, and more.
U-M Classes and Programs that place students in AAPS Programs (Please note, this does not include placements through the U-M School of Education)
- America Reads
- ELI 390 Community-Engaged Learning in ESL Teaching Contexts
- Project Community
- Project Outreach
- Project Healthy Schools
- HF/MVS/KIN 425 Physical Activity & Pediatric Disabilities
- Michigan Mentorship Program
- Readers and Best
- Spanish Language Internship Program (SLIP)
Placement Process for the above courses and programs 2019-2020
- Complete the Volunteer Information Form provided to you by AAPS
- Sign up for an Orientation Session
- Once you complete the information form, AAPS will conduct a background check and will let you know if there are any issues.
- For some programs and courses above, AAPS will assist you with the placement process, for others, you will be placed by your U-M Coordinator. If you are unsure about how you will be placed, please contact your U-M Coordinator, professor or staff that oversees your course or program.
- For Fall 2019, you should be able to start your volunteer placement in late September.
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the AAPS Stategic Partnerships office at email@example.com or get started.