Ann Arbor Preschool curriculum is play-based with an emphasis on kindergarten readiness. The classroom activities, “specials” (such as music, gym, art, media center), and outdoor recreation areas are designed to inspire, challenge, and strengthen young minds and bodies. Every aspect of your preschooler’s early education is carefully planned, implemented, and evaluated to maximize growth and development.
The Creative Curriculum is a forward-thinking, comprehensive, research-based and research-proven curriculum that helps teachers be their most effective, while still honoring their creativity and respecting their critical role in making learning exciting for every child. Using exploration and discovery as a way of learning, The Creative Curriculum for Preschool enables children to develop confidence, creativity, and lifelong critical thinking skills. This program:
- Is based on 38 objectives for development and learning, which are fully aligned with the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework as well as early learning standards for every state.
- Addresses all the important areas of learning, from social-emotional and math to technology and the arts, and incorporates them throughout every part of every day.
- Offers daily, built-in opportunities for observation, helping teachers and administrators clearly see the strong relationship between curriculum and assessment.
- Offers complete support for working with English- and dual-language learners, including detailed guidance that helps to build teachers’ knowledge about best practices.
- Contains guidance for working with all learners, including advanced learners and children with disabilities.
Everyday Mathematics is a comprehensive Pre-K through 6th grade mathematics curriculum. Grade Level Goals align with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSS-M). Everyday Mathematics is used in Ann Arbor Public School K-5 classrooms, so our preschoolers enter kindergarten with the skills needed for success. Family Letters keep parents up-to-date on what their child is learning in class. They contain background information, vocabulary, games, and more for each unit.
NEW! At the Thurston and Allen locations, students may register for an optional “STEAM Friday” enrichment program (for an additional fee). Based on Literasci curricula, STEAM Fridays involve project-based learning and other activities focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (“STEAM”). Students engage in developmentally appropriate activities designed to encourage discovery, creativity, and problem-solving. Hands-on science and technology materials are key elements of this Friday program.
The Ann Arbor Preschools use best-practice research in early childhood education to provide a solid social-emotional and academic foundation for kindergarten and beyond. We are dedicated to ensuring a program that celebrates diversity by supporting and respecting cultural, racial, and religious differences. Parent participation at all levels is encouraged and valued, as a strong parent-school relationship is crucial to our success.