Space Available Transfers for Ann Arbor Residents
The Ann Arbor Board of Education has approved a Space Available In-District Transfer policy that allows for a permanent reassignment of in-district students from one school to another. Under the policy, families that live within the Ann Arbor Public School district may apply for a transfer from their assigned school (as defined by the Ann Arbor Public School Street Index) to one of the identified space available schools.Schools with space available are determined annually based upon capacity and projected enrollment. Families of students who receive these transfers are officially assigned to the requested school instead of their original school. If the transfer is granted, students can stay for all grades offered at that school.
2018 Application WindowFor the 2018-19 school year
Online Application window open
Monday, April 16 - Tuesday, May 15.
- Families wishing to apply for an In-District transfer must complete an online application for each student.
- The application deadline is Tuesday, May 15 at 5:00 P.M.
- Families will be notified of their status by the end of May.
Schools/grades with space available are posted at this link.
Applications are accepted anytime within the application window timeframe. Applications are NOT processed on a first come, first served basis.Questions? Please see the Space Available In District Transfer Process FAQ sheet.
- Transportation to and from school will not be provided by AAPS. Transportation is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. The ability of a family to transport students to arrive on time to school and be picked up on time is an important consideration when applying for an in-district transfer. Please consider this carefully.
- All high school transfer students may be subject to a 180-day athletic ineligibility period per MHSAA policy. For more information, please contact the athletic director at the school you have been approved for an In-District Transfer.
Further Inquiries? Please email the AAPS Student Enrollment office at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 734.994.2249.