Schools of Choice Options for Families Residing
Outside Ann Arbor
The Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education has approved a non-resident student enrollment policy under Section 105 and 105C of the School Aid Act that allows for a limited number of seats in buildings for students not living within the Ann Arbor Public School District. Students living in a school district within the following ISDs may apply:Washtenaw, Ingham, Jackson, Lenawee, Livingston, Monroe, Oakland or Wayne
Under the transfer policy, schools with space available are determined each year based on building capacity and projected enrollment. Applications are accepted annually during a spring application window. Additional application windows may be announced at the District's discretion.
2018 Application WindowFor the 2018-19 school year
Online Application window will be open
Monday, April 16 - Tuesday, May 15.
- Families wishing to apply for a Schools of Choice admission must complete an online application for each student.
- The application deadline is Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 5:00 P.M.
- Families will be notified of their application status by the end of May.
Schools/grades with space available are posted at this link.
- Transportation to and from school will not be provided by AAPS. Transportation is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. The ability of a family to transport students to arrive on time to school and be picked up on time is an important consideration when applying for Schools of Choice. Please consider this carefully.
- All high school transfer students may be subject to a 180-day athletic ineligibility period per MHSAA policy. For more information, please contact the athletic director at the school you have been approved for Schools of Choice admission.
- Applications are accepted anytime within the the application window timeframe. Applications are NOT processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Applications will be reviewed for accurate information and may involve contacting the student’s current school.
- Student acceptance is conditional until Ann Arbor Public Schools receives and reviews all school discipline records.
- Once approved and enrolled, the student may remain in the Ann Arbor Public Schools through graduation. This does not prohibit the Ann Arbor Public Schools from expelling a student for disciplinary reasons.
- Number of seats available at each building and/or grade may be limited.
- If the number of qualified non-resident applications eligible for acceptance exceeds the number of seats available, students who reside in the same household as students enrolled through Schools of Choice in the current school year will receive first consideration. A random draw system will be used to determine selection for the remaining spaces. A waiting list will be maintained for the remaining applications and prioritized through the random draw.
Further Inquiries? Please email the AAPS Student Enrollment office at email@example.com or phone 734.994.2249.